Saratov State Medical
University is one of the oldest universities in Russia. It was founded in 1909.
At that time Saratov State Medical University was organized as the only faculty
of the University which was the 10th in Russia. The founder and the first
Rector was Professor Vassily Razumovsky, an outstanding surgeon. He is considered to
be the founder of a neurosurgery school in Russia.
In 1909, 93 students were admitted
to the University. Only men were allowed to study. The education was paid.By 1935 the Institute had
about l600 students. In 1939 one more faculty was founded the Faculty of
Training Military Physicians specialists for Army service. But during the World
War II it stopped functioning and resumed its work only in late fifties. After
the World War II many new Departments were opened mainly for the Faculty
of Pediatrics Propedeutics of Pediatric Diseases, Internal Diseases and
Surgery for pediatricians.